Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 September 2013

Thorsberg Pants: Part 3

I finished the waist band finally. It took the whole evening, about 8 hours, but it is done. I noticed last night that when I am fresh my stitches are fairly even and quite neat. The more tired my eyes get my stitches begin to vary in length and distance. I know it is because I start to hurry, especially if I am working on a specific goal like finishing X piece before I go to bed.

 I said in my last post Thorsberg Pants: Part 2 that my waist band was going to be similar to the extant example. I was wrong. I cut the waistband 5 inches all the way across and sewed the edges to the edge of the pants. To get the marked difference in height from side to side I would have had to cut one side 5 inches and the other side 3 inches, or sewn the side attached to the high leg piece so that when laid flat the waistband was level all the way across on the top.

Each day I spend on these pants, or any hand sewing really, makes me even more aware of just how much time and effort the pre-industrial revolution people spent to have a single set of clothing. I am lucky that I don't have to grow the flax, sheep, or cotton; process it into thread or yarn; and weave it into cloth before cutting out the pieces of my project.

I think is I had to do all that work, I would be very stingy with my fabric and make sure I used every single piece, wasting nothing in the cutting and sewing of the parts. I suspect the way the Thorsberg pants are made is for that very reason. To use the smallest amount of fabric to the greatest effect while creating pants that are comfortable and less likely to tear out along the seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment