Translate

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 September 2013

A&S 50/ 50 Challenge: Wool Cap #1

While I try to figure out how the footies are assembled on my Thorsberg Pants, I thought it a good idea to share some of my A&S 50/ 50 Challenges. As I said in my opening post I am actually doing two challenges; Nalbound Wool caps and Illuminated Scrolls based on the Book of Kells. To date I have only completed sixteen of the nalbound caps and five of the illuminated scrolls, but winter is coming and that is my most productive period for nalbinding. With luck I will also increase my scroll count significantly as well.

When I started the 50/50 challenge I kept notes on the patterns and materials I used for each hat. I also posted pictures over at Ravelry.com. I will take my paper notes and the pictures from Ravelry and use them to create a blog post for each hat.

Wool Cap #1

Brand of Wool: Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
Colours: Brown and Oatmeal
Stitch: Oslo
Notes:
I started this hat with a Josephine Knot, a single loop that I then create simple loops using the buttonhole stitch. For this cap I started with 8 loops. I did not keep track of my stitch increases which is a shame. I really like the way the hat is slightly pointed and has a smooth downward slope all the way along.

Experience with other, more recent, caps would suggest I did a single increase, i.e. two stitches, in each of the buttonhole loops. In the next several rows I increased once every three to five stitches. I did this until the round was as big as I wanted it, then I simple worked around with mo increases.

To finish the edges I increased the tightness of the Oslo stitches for two or three inches then switched to a buttonhole stitch until I reached the end of my piece of working yarn. The loose end was woven through three inches of the previous row.





No comments:

Post a Comment