Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 March 2014

White Wolf Fian: Progress #1

Progress has started on my White Wolf Fian. I decided that progress would start by working the projects provided to me by Master Stephen at the Bone and Antler Carving Class. Here is a my progress after 3 hours of scraping and filing on my Bone Cloak Pin. I have a small course set of files, an extra carving knife, and a small fine file that I used as my starting tools.

The knife worked much better than the files. Even the course files took a long time to make any indentation in the bone at all. The knife allowed me to shave and chip away at the bone pin much more successfully. The course file did work well to create the beading along the shaft of the pen.

I still want to slim the shaft down more, so it goes through the fabric easier, and I want to add some kind of decoration to the top wedge. With that in mind I need to make myself a Ring and Dot tool. I am planning on making one from an old cheap flat head screw driver that has been filed with a wedge file to make the three prongs needed to make the Ring and Dot.

I also need to make a hole drilling tool. I'm not really sure how to proceed. Right now I am thinking that I will take a very small rod of steel and grind the shape into the end. I want to avoid using power tools if at all possible to the grinding will be done with a course grinding stone set up to be powered by either the foot or the hands. We'll see how well that works. If it doesn't work I may have to find a smith to make the tools.



1 comment: