Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 March 2014

Nalbinding: Mittens and Socks, Oh My!

 Just a couple of projects I have been working on. A pair of wool mittens in a slightly modified York Stitch and a pair of wool socks in Mammen Stitch.

Because the York Stitch is so prone to helixing (a tight twisting) I decided to add a row of mammen every 5 or 6 rows. It helped a little bit with the twisting but not enough. I really do dislike the York Stitch, mostly because of the twisting but I also find it very slow to do.

Mammen Stitch, on the other hand, is the stitch I tend to go to more often than not. It is denser than Oslo but doesn't use as much yarn as the Broden, Dalby, or Aisle stitches.

This is the first pair of socks I have made using the reducing heel method. Previous socks had been made using the slipper method where you made the toe then made a tongue for the bottom of the sock. The reducing method is the one seen in the Coppergate sock and seems to hold up to regular usage as opposed to the tongue method.


No comments:

Post a Comment