Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday 23 February 2014

White Wolf Fian #1 - Introduction

For some reason I decided I didn't have enough challenges on my plate this year and decided to challenge in to Ealdormere's White Wolf Fian. The White Wolf Fian is a challenge based order, patroned by the Queen of Ealdormere, that encourages individuals work to improve their skills and knowledge in the Arts and Sciences through intermediate level projects.

The proposal that was finally accepted, I had put forward several ideas that were deemed to easy for my skill level, is to learn how to work bone and antler, using period techniques only, with the final outcome to be a replica of a bone strap end found at York and dates to the Anglo-Scandinavian period. My reference material is "Bone, antler, ivory & horn: The technology of skeletal materials since the Roman period" by Arthur MacGregor and the York Archeological Trust Publication "Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn from Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York" edited by A. MacGregor, A.J. Mainman and N.S.H. Rogers (1999).

I actually got a great start to this project yesterday, at Skraeling Althing's Practicum, with a class on Bone and Antler Carving taught by Master Stephen. While much of the lecture itself was not new information, the hands-on was phenomenal as was the look into his period bone carving tool chest. While it turned out I already have several of the essential tools, I do carve wood after all, there are a couple of very essential tools I need to either make or purchase from someone who makes them. I also need to find some course files. I have plenty of fine smoothing files but I need a rasp for removing large amounts of stock. The tiny period drills for making holes for rivets is going to be essential for mounting my strap-ends onto leather belts.

While I tend to extend myself a little further on each project I work on, it is my hope that being part of the White Wolf Fian will give me not only a physical outcome to focus on, like my 50 hats for the 50/50 Challenge, but also a delivery deadline that is near enough to keep me focused on the project rather than getting distracted by all the new ideas I come up with. It is also my hope that by being part of the White Wold Fian I might have access to more knowledgeable members who can point me in the right direction when I hit a snag.




1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete