Translate

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Trillium Exchange: #4

I tried open sand casting this pattern but I failed. I mixed two packages of molasses with the sand to make it hold the pattern and packed it firmly into a form. However, when I pressed the sculpey forms into the sand they broke. After removing the forms from the sand I realized the sand was to course any way to successfully take the amount of detail in the forms themselves. Even the really simple one did not work in the course sand.

To find and purchase the required molding compound will cause me to go over the $25 limit set my the organizers. I am also feeling like the time is slipping away from me since the project is due in February. As such I have now reverted back to another project I had in mind. A box carved with a scene of some nature. I have cut pieces of red cedar and will build a box as a base for my carving, Should that fail I have ordered some pieces of Linden (Basswood) which I know are fairly straightforward to carve.

The inspiration came from a box found at an Antiquities Dealer's shop. It is a greenwood carved box made from a solid piece of wood, with scenes from the birth of Christ on it. Since the SCA tends to discourage religious imagery I have asked the organizers to get Rylan's preference. If she wants religious, I will do religious. Otherwise I plan to carve a scene from Beowulf, a classic Anglo-Saxon Myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment