Translate

Total Pageviews

Monday 7 October 2013

Thorsberg Pants: Part 6

The most recent edition of the footies for my Thorsberg pants are much better but still not perfect.I used the same pieces from my first tries, but cut the gore down so that it only reached to the arch of my foot.

I did two things wrong on this effort. First I forgot that I needed to open the back of the pants, which of course changed the size of the opening on the footies. You can see the row of pins indicating where the opening of the pants legs ends when the footies is pinned to them.

The second mistake, and not a big one, is the way I cut the gore. You can see that it is not level with the top edge of the foot. Since I have to take both the feet apart to make a smaller gore, I had planned on cutting a fresh piece so that the top edge of the gore is level with the top edge of the top of the foot. But, as I look at it I wonder if matching the edges up will create excess fabric that hangs at the back of my heels.

One thing that did come up when I was opening up the back of the legs was the length of the thigh gores. The extant example has a 30 cm, almost 12 inches, opening at the back of the pants. I didn't think about the opening when I sewed the pants, which I guess worked out since I was able to wear them without the feet, so I had to cut the seams out. To cut them out to the the 30 cm, I had to cut away part of the thigh gore.

My next pair of pants, wool ones for winter wear, I'll make sure the gores are shorter, and that I leave the seam open on the lower length of the legs. I also plan to make the strips of the fabric, that make up the legs, narrower than this pair. Instead of making them as wide as my lower thighs I will make them as wide as my upper calf, adjusting all the other pieces to make up the difference. This will create a more form fitting look on my calves which I hope will lead me to some ideas as to what the cords on the back of the calves was really used for.



No comments:

Post a Comment