Translate

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Thorsberg Pants: Part 5 The Wearing

The Coronation of Nigel and Adrielle II was this weekend so I decided to wear the pants I've been working on, sans footies of course. I don't know for sure what I expected but I found the pants to be quite comfortable once I got past the seams running up the back of my legs. I was able to bend, kneel, squat, and walk without any of the binding I find in most pants, modern or otherwise. I was especially pleased with the ability to squat without a single pop of a stitch or tear of the fabric.

A change I do need to make is the number of belt loops. The original had a total of six for a slim fitting waist. For a larger waist, like mine, six as not enough. I found the back of the pants tended to slip down between the loops so that the wool belt was rubbing on my skin. As the day dragged on I noticed this slipping effect happening between all the belt loops. To correct this I will be adding more belt loops between each of the current ones. This should correct the slipping problem and prevent the belt from contacting my skin directly.

I do wonder if the footies will work with my period shoes. I find the shoes to be just a tad tight across the top of my foot. So tight in fact, that even thin modern socks are uncomfortable after a short period of time. Period socks are completely out of the question, until I learn how to make super thin yarn and nalbind a pair and even then I am not sure if they will work with the shoes. While there will not be seams along the top of the foot, there will be seams along the bottom of the foot and back of the heel. Will these interfere with the way the shoes fit and make them even tighter than normal? I guess I will find out, as soon as I get the footies made and attached to my pants.

1 comment:

  1. Your pants and hood projects are very interesting and your recreation seems very thorough. Nice to read about what you have been working on.
    Aelswitha

    ReplyDelete