Translate

Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 April 2014

White Wolf Fian: Ring and Dot Tool & Hand Drill Bit

I finally have the Ring and Dot tool and the spoon bits for drilling holes. A smith made the tools and I had to sharpen them and add handles to make them easier to use.They are not very big as you can imagine. The largest of the spoon bits is slightly over 1/8th inch wide. The ring and dot tool is slightly under 1/8th inch wide.The smith who made them used heavy duty steel coat hanger wire to make them

To sharpen the tools I used a small set of files to give the edges the correct bevel of about 22º. Then I used oil and wet stones to give them their final sharpening.I tried them on a piece of birch after I sharpened them and found they worked well on wood. The tests on bone did not yield the best results.I decided part of the problem was the wire dug into my palms to much and made it hard for my to put the kind of pressure I think I need to dig into the bone.

To remedy this problem I am putting cherry handles on the tools. I started with rectangular blocks of cherry wood. So far I have shaped the wood down to create a wide based for my palm to pres against while the handle near the working end of the tool narrow enough for me to see what I am doing during use. Once the handles have been sanded smooth I will seal them with a coat of polyurethane so they last a very long time.





No comments:

Post a Comment